Au Revoir


Since 2005, I've written about a variety of topics: from the hypocrisy and growing nationalism within the Christian church to the world of politics. From 2010, it's been pretty much politics. As a former pastor of mine once said, it's cheaper than therapy.

Blogging was a wonderful outlet. It allowed me to express my feelings in a constructive manner. And with each posting, I honed my skills a little bit more, earning a few accolades along the way from a small but devoted following.

From the ascendency of Obama in '09 to the rise of Trump in '16, the fingers typed and the words flowed. Cathartic would be a word in a half.

But over the last couple of years, the words haven't flowed nearly as easy. I find myself struggling to get motivated. Instead of writing about politics, I'm writing about good versus evil, and, quite frankly, evil has been winning of late.

The tribalism that has infected this nation has now completely taken over every aspect of American life. No longer do we debate policy. The pundits who used to bend our ears discussing the various attributes of supply-side economics or Medicare for All are now almost entirely consumed with reporting about the illiberal and nativist elements within the country that are actively engaged in undoing a 240 year-old representative democracy.

In the closing weeks of 2020, I went to bed almost every night wondering whether the country I grew up in would still be there when I woke up. It never occurred to me that something as mundane as the Electoral College meeting to certify an election would turn into an episode of Law and Order. And I sure as hell never anticipated what happened on January 6.

Look, I'm not naive. Stupid people have always been among us; corrupt ones too. But the one thing I could always count on was that there would be enough smart and honest people to offset them. Now I'm not so sure anymore. While the January 6 Committee investigates an attempted coup, in at least six states, Republicans are busy making sure the next one will succeed. We have never been as close to becoming a banana republic as we are now.

Twelve months ago I was actually hopeful. I thought once Trump left the presidency, once he longer had the protections the office afforded him, his influence would wane. Boy, was I wrong. Far from waning, he has consolidated his control over not only the GOP but the base as well. Imagine what these sycophants will do if they take control of both houses of Congress in the midterms.

As the old saying goes, "I didn't sign up for this shit!" No reasonably sane person would. I watch Meet the Press and Face the Nation, and I think you couldn't pay me enough to moderate those shows. At some point you grow tired of shouting, "the British are coming, the British are coming." All you get for your efforts is a sore throat.

Seriously, I just don't have the stomach for this shit anymore, nor the passion. I haven't for a while. Truth be told, I get more enjoyment out of writing about sports than I do writing about whatever the hell this is. It ain't politics, that's for sure. It hasn't been for a while. If I wanted to opine about despots seizing power, I'd move to fucking Belarus.

I'm done, at least for now. Maybe down the road I'll change my mind, but I wouldn't bet on it. I think I'll stick with sports for the time being. Who knows? Maybe the Rangers will give me something to root for this spring. It's been a long time since 1994. If that doesn't happen, perhaps the Mets will surprise me. I'm nothing if an incurable optimist.

Until we meet again, people, adios and be well.

Comments