Bolton Wants To Testify. So Why Do I Smell A Rat?


Call me paranoid, but John Bolton’s recent statement that he’s willing to come forward and testify at Trump’s Senate impeachment trial makes me extremely nervous. Why now? He had three months to come forward and testify before the House and he chooses this precise moment to have an epiphany? I smell a rat here.

It's clear Bolton doesn't like Trump. From everything we know about his exit from the White House, it left a very bad taste in his mouth. And as I wrote in an earlier piece, he'd jump at the chance to "burn" the man who humiliated him. But here's the thing: as much as he feels betrayed by Trump, deep down he's always despised Democrats. Don't believe me, just look at his Fox News days. If you seriously think that Captain Neocon is going to give Nancy Pelosi and Chuck Schumer the political win of their lifetime, my advice to you is don't get behind the wheel of your car anytime soon. I'm pretty sure the substance you're on is illegal, even in Colorado.

Look, I'm no expert, but this makes no sense at all. Either Bolton's book deal just fell through, or he's setting up Democrats for the biggest political fall they've suffered since the 2010 midterms. If I were a betting man, I'd put my money on the latter. And here's how you'll be able to tell which one it is. While Mitch McConnell has so far put the kibosh on Bolton testifying, if he all of sudden does an about face, you'll know the fix is in.

I can just see it now. Bolton delivers a forty-five minute opening statement in which he spends about five minutes admitting Trump could've used better judgement and the remaining forty minutes raking Democrats over the coals for conducting the witch hunt of the century. To paraphrase Mr. Rogers, Can you spell landslide? I knew you could.

Again, call me paranoid, but I gotta bad feeling about this. Reluctant witnesses don't just become cooperative overnight, not without a reason. It's not in their nature. And for someone like Bolton, who probably knows more about what this president did than Pence, Pompeo and Mulvaney put together, it's even more improbable that he would become this generation's John Dean.

Trump is out of his mind. Now he's threatening to strike Iranian cultural centers if they retaliate against the U.S. for killing Soleimani. Not even Reagan would've been bold enough to do what this administration has done over the last few days. It can't be a coincidence that right in the middle of the worst foreign policy clusterfuck this side of WMDs in Iraq, old Mr. Mustache himself decides to do his patriotic duty. Nobody can be that gullible. Or can they?

I may have been born during the day, but it wasn't yesterday.

Comments